Friday, July 15, 2011

Thing 2 (CPD23)

The post title remains the same, but the project is new.

Having recently completed a “10 Things” project with our local 3Rs in upstate New York, Thing 1 for the 23 Things project was easy, I have a blog. I hadn’t really planned on starting a blog before embarking on that project, but I must admit, it was very easy, painless and enjoyable. I hadn’t wanted it to end, hence the decision to start the 23 Things project.
Part of Thing 2 is to check out the blogs of some of the other librarians who are also involved in the project. With so many people taking part, it isn’t easy to decide where to start.   Working in a public library and reading a number of blogs by librarians in the United States, I decided to read a few from those in other types of libraries.

Natalie’s CPD23 seemed like a good place to start: http://nataliescpd23.blogspot.com/ and I find that I agree with her on some of the social networking tools though I am a convert to RSS feeds. 
Bear Bachoochie http://www.bearbahoochie.co.uk/ has combined Things 1-3 into one post. That’s an efficient way to do it and would allow me to play catch-up much more quickly. One on the other hand, the more you blog, the more often people will come to your site to see what’s new.

On the public library front, there is http://thefalseprotagonist.blogspot.com/. I love the title of this blog and like the author, enjoy reading blogs with a sense of humor (or should I say humour for the Brits and Canadians out there). Having grown up in Canada, I sometimes manage to combine US and Canadian spelling on words and then Word really doesn’t know what I’m trying to write!
As part of the “Googlization” of the world, I found out that I could add blogs, twitter feeds and any URL to my Google Reader. I remember quite a few years ago when “push” technology was the newest bell/whistle and you wouldn’t have to go to websites, the information would be pushed to you to review at your leisure. Google Reader allows me to add a link to any website and see when it has been updated, without having to go around to a large number of sites at the same time. This is a much more efficient use of time. I use the Google Reader for both personal and professional sites, and once I joined the dark side and started using it, it made it much easier to track and categorize sites.  One-stop shopping as they say.   In fact, I decided to jump further into Google and joined Google Plus recently. I have resisted joining Facebook, but since my husband, also a librarian, invited me to join Google Plus, I took the plunge. Within minutes people had found me. Interesting and scary at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment