As Meatloaf likes to say, two out of three ain't bad. Poor grammar aside, this week's thing includes two tools that I make use of regularly, twitter and RSS (for me Google Reader).
I've used Twitter mainly to follow my library's activity and other feeds on topics that I want to learn more about, for myself and my work. I have been following the CPD23 twitter feed, my library's Twitter feed and several others through my Google Reader. Since starting this project, I've "branded" a Twitter feed for myself, mainly to use to follow others, but it would be a way to promote the blog when I've updated a post.
I originally used Bloglines as my RSS feeder and it worked really well. Then, like Mark Twain, the reports of its death were an exaggeration. I had switched to Google Reader at this point and didn't go back. One of the nice features of Bloglines is that once you read a message, if you don't note/highlight it, it disappears and you don't have to see it again. With Google Reader, I can view new items or all items, but I haven't found a way to see all new items and only those items that I've starred.
I wasn't familiar with Pushnote before reading this week's Thing, but it does seem like another way to use one tool to do a connect with a number of sites in the same place. Any tool that makes things easier without having a large learning curve could be a help in keeping up with what is going on in the larger world of librarianship.
No comments:
Post a Comment