We've offered eBooks at our library, through Overdrive, for over a year and the demand is increasing on a daily basis. I've tried the Nook, Kobo and several iDevices with the iPad being the most recent.
The search capabilities are not the best in the world, even with the Advanced search option where you can limit your search to only those titles with copies available. Not being able to checkout any of the eBook titles that we own and having to go on a waiting list are more difficult to explain to patrons. Likewise, explaining HarperCollins decision to limit each copy of their eBooks to 26 checkouts makes no sense to librarians- though I'm sure that it does to the accountants for HC.
Not all titles that are available in "regular" print are available as eBooks either, with publishers Simon and Schuster and Macmillan (including St. Martin's Press, Minotaur, TOR and Forge) not making any of their titles available to libraries. Like all parts of our collection, we are adding to our eBooks as demand and budget allow.
The eReaders themselves vary greatly in "how they work" so I work with patrons, one on one, to help them use their reader. We saw a huge demand for assistance with these devices after Black Friday, Christmas and Mother's Day. I've been using my iPad to checkout titles, and the search screen on the App could use improvement (to say the least!) but this is a great way to find some of the classics and the Project Gutenberg titles are a great help.
I've added some handouts on "Getting Started" with the most popular eReaders to our website. Maybe it will be helpful for you. http://www.cphlibrary.org/services/downloadable-media.shtml
No comments:
Post a Comment