Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Thing 18 : Jing - Coming soon to a computer near you

Though it sounds like Bing (not my favorite search engine), Jing is actually a tool that you can use to do screen captures and videos to highlight your library's resources.  This past summer at our library, we were lucky enough to have a girl scout working on her Gold Award do some videos of our library's collections and programs which we've added to our YouTube channel along with another great Summer Reading Club introduction from our children's librarians.  The one from last year featured a friend of mine approaching the circulation desk in her wetsuit.  You'd have to see it to believe it.

I've used Jing today to highlight some of my favorite podcasts that I subscribe to through iTunes.  I read and respect greatly the TV critic, Alan Sepinwall, formerly of The Newark Star-Ledger and now with HitFix.com  Alan introduced tech-savvy husband (TSH) and I to The Wire, David Simon's fantastic show about cops and drug dealers in Baltimore. Definitely worth catching on DVD, perhaps available at your local library.  Jing works very similarly to the cropping tool in Word 2010 and Paint Shop Pro that  I've used in the past, but has video capability that neither of these tools have included.



TSH also has his own podcast of his radio show that he does at a local university, which is great as we live too far from the station for me to be able to listen to on the radio, but I can stream the show live and/or listen to the entire show as a podcast.



Lastly, as summer ends in the Northeast, I get back into one of my favorite sports, curling.  Yes, like the Olympics.  Growing up in Canada, curling is huge.  I'm a member of a local club and am looking forward to getting back on the ice and listening to Dean Gemmell's "The Curling Show" podcasts.


No comments:

Post a Comment