Friday, April 29, 2011

Thing 5: The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge

I remember watching the Royal Wedding of HRH Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer when I was little.  My dad woke me up early (as requested) so that I could see the whole thing live on a lovely Wednesday morning.  This morning was a similarly beautiful day and thanks to the Internet and Social networking sites, a bit more intimate and global all at the same time. 

I've been following @Clarence House  (for the Prince of Wales' Press Office) to get updates for the past few weeks, as I think I mentioned in my last post.  Apparently Westminister Abbey has also gone 21st Century as someone was live tweeting the wedding at @Wabbey .

One of my new favorite blogs is Madhattery which covers the hats and fascinators (such a lovely word for a cross between a hair comb and a hat) of Royal Families around the world, with a very witty commentary.  Not surprisingly, the traffic to the site caused a crash this morning, but if you want to see the hat that Zara Phillips or HRH Princess Beatrice (the one that looked like a beige clock) wore - this is the site for you. 

With the Official Programme released yesterday, I was able to download it to my iPad 2 and follow the service line by line.  Small and intimate and around the world all at the same time!

Going along with tradition, HM the Queen bestowed a new title on HRH Prince William and Miss Middleton received her first title.  They will now be known at the TRH the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I love weddings, too--especially royal weddings. Our tv broke the week before so we didn't have cable. I was able to watch the happenings at Westminster Abbey through BBC's live feed from my laptop. Also, as the proceedings were going on, there were live tweets on their website, as I can imagine there would be on a number of websites. I never knew tweets would come in handy, but this was a prime example. I am fascinated by those fascinators, so as soon as I post this comment, I am going to check out your link to that Madhattery blog!

    ReplyDelete